- [Flagged revisions] – status information about flagged revisions and how the English Wikipedia is going to use it.
- [10gbit/sec] – on the 11th of January Wikimedia’s world-wide five-minute-average transmission rate crossed 10gbit/sec. This peak rate was achieved while serving roughly 91,725 requests per second.
- [Wikipedia and Google] – A custom Google skin for Wikipedia is created. It provides advanced Google/Wikipedia search options.
- [Stewards] – Candidate submissions are open for the function of Steward. A steward is a user who has the administrative user rights to grant and revoke all existing user levels on all Wikimedia Foundation projects. It can be compared with a super-bureaucrat.
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/elections_2010/Guidelines#Candidates — until 28th January
- [WMF fundraiser] – it has come and is gone again. The Wikimedia Foundation was able to raise just over $8 million USD. In Euro it 5,5 million. In any case it was the most successful fundraiser to date.
- [WMF move] – The Wikimedia Foundation started in Saint-Petersburg, Florida. And moved in early 2008 to San Francisco, California. A couple of months ago the WMF moved again to a larger office in the neighborhood of the old office.
- [Commons] – Post of Erik about how the contend imported on Commons from partnerships have been used on the projects.
- [Wiki jobs] – If you work on a WMF project and do your best, maybe, just maybe, you will be offered a job. That was the case with [[user:Mike Halterman]] from EN Wikinews. His work on Wikinews attracted the attention of a new magazine starting up in Tampa, Florida, USA, This user did had a journalistic background but this online work at Wikinews was the ticket. Nine months after being hired as a writer, Mike Halterman is now lead editor of OMG! Magazine.
- [PL Wiki] – Polish Wikipedia has been awarded a “Jan Łukasiewicz special award for social innovation in the application of IT” by the Polish IT Society (Polskie Towarzystwo Informatyczne). The award has been received by Paweł Jochym, a co-founder of pl.wiki, and Prof. Janusz “Ency” Dorożyński, an active Polish Wikimedian and a member of the Society.
- [A editor story] – A nice article about one of the many people working on the wiki
- [Wikitravel] - has changed there license to “Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0″. This is the same license as the Wikimedia Foundation is using for most projects.
- [Upcoming holiday] – 25th of January Magnus Manske Day
So, this was the first Wikizine of 2010 (and it was not even a good one). It has been a couple of months since the previous Wikizine. There was a short revival of Wikizine in the period of August, September and October. And now this edition in January. I can not make any promises for a next edition. Maybe until Wikizine 121,
Editor(s): Walter, Casey , Thanks to: Erik, Jay, Cary, George Herbert, Frank, Magnus Manske, Jyothis, Amgine, Sage, Jay, Tim, Marlita, Kat, David, Wpedzich, Naoko, Kul, Evan Contact: reply or http://report.wikizine.org Website: http://www.wikizine.org
Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy, validity and especially but not limited to, correct grammar and spelling. Satisfaction is not guaranteed. Wikizine.org is published by [[meta:user:Walter]]. Wikizine is published as long as there is noteworthy news (and time)
Content is available under the GNU Free Documentation License http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html and also the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Generic License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/