- [For bureaucrats] – When you rename a user, you now have the option to directly move all the pages in their user space to the new name. For localization, translate MediaWiki:Renameusermove.
- http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising_FAQ — the FAQ also about matching donations
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/13050/focus=13050 — new site notice now ready
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/13079/focus=13079 — Advertisement #1
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/13093/focus=13093 — Advertisement #2
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/13104/focus=13104 — This is not an Advertisement
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/13122/focus=13122 — Beyond "ad" or "not ad"
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/13157/focus=13157 — alternatives
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/13177/focus=13177 — Is the Wikimedia Foundation a "Game"?
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/13191/focus=13191 — Be bold!
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/13203/focus=13203 — Attempt at a compromise
- http://slashdot.org/articles/07/01/03/1311248.shtml — The Debate Over Advertising on WIkipedia
Request for help
- [Footer update] – David Gerard of the communications committee has requested that the footer on all wikis be modified to make it clear that the Wikimedia Foundation is a charity, not a for-profit company. The page to edit this is MediaWiki:Copyright.
- [Year in review] – It is customary at the end of the year to look back at the past year, and also to give prizes to deserving people. This happened on the Romanian Wikipedia, where some sysops formed a jury and gave honorary prizes to the users who were present for the whole year in the project and were the best in their field of work. This was the second time they did that.
- [Esperanza] – The English Wikipedia's infamous Esperanza organisation has been restructured after a controversial request for deletion. It has now been made historical, but many of its programs remain active as separate projects.
- [Wiki-New-Year] – Every Wikipedia has its own particularity. The English love templates, the German love quality, the Dutch love to discuss. The Romanians find excuses to give prizes. A new year also means that changes come into effect, like political, legal or monetary changes. The Romanian Wikipedia has made a to-do list and volunteers to make a change for the new year. The first user to make one of the updates in 2007 and the first new registered user gets a prize.
- [nl.wp] – The Dutch language Wikipedia reached 250,000 recently and the local press was interested. Most newspapers have included an article about it. And so far as know all positive. There was also coverage about it in the national television news journal of the Netherlands and the Flemish community of Belgium.
- http://tinyurl.com/y5qouu — deep link to file — VRT-news (Flemish) with meta:user:Walter
- http://tinyurl.com/v7x68 — RTL 4-news (Netherlands) with meta:user:Oscar (WMF-board) and meta:user:Effeietsanders
- [Qatar] – A oil emirate where the citizens need to think hard to grasp the concept of "taxes" made the news thanks to Wikipedia. And this with titles like "Wikipedia Bans Qatar Net Users". What happened was the on EN Wikipedia after again getting some vandalism from a specific ip address that ip was blocked for one month for anonymous users, account creation not allowed. The problem was that this one ip address was the external ip of *all* internet users of Qatar. After about 20 hours some realized that this was not a normal ip address and account creation was again allowed. Later the block was totally lifted. So the people of Qatar have again total editing freedom on Wikipedia. At least so long the state censor of Qatar does not block Wikipedia them self.
- [A lot] – 100,000,000 on the English Wikipedia. …no, that is not yet the number of articles. It is the number of edits until now on the English language Wikipedia.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury – recommended related reading material
- [WikiWoordenboek] – The Dutch language Wiktionary has passed the mark of 25,000 entries.
- [Wikizine down] – currently the website of Wikizine is down. The reason is very simple; the host wikizine is using is down. No news how long it will take. The email distribution system of Wikizine and the website are totally separated. So one of both should always be available.
Was ist das?
"Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing."– Jimmy Wales, July 2004
"As for what it doesn't say:
It does not say, "Imagine an advertising-free world."
It does not say "where every single person who speaks a English or a
European language …"
It does not say "share freely unless the unfree content is better."
It does not say "free knowledge and links to where to find out more/buy it."
It does not say "That's what we did.""
"It doesnt say "let's thank our sponsers with more ads" either" — Teun Spaans
Number of subscribers: 573 , Unique Visitors website this week: 334, Editor(s): Walter, Xyrael
Corrector(s): Gary Kirk, Pathoschild , Thanks to: Romihaitza, Daveydweeb, Annabel