- [Portal] – Wikibooks has now also its own real portal. It used to point to a page on the wiki to act as portal. The portal is in Wikipedia-style.
- [vanity/vandalism] – Our CEO posted a strong statement about corporate vanity/vandalism-articles. Corporates created non-encyclopedic articles and when the are removed that call the office of the WMF to complain about it. That advice of Brad is to be firm and remove that type of articles and block the users.
- [Logo] – the process for selection a new logo for Wikibooks, Wiktionary and Wikiversity is continuing. No new proposals can be submitted now anymore. The vote for these logos is not yet open but is closing in.
- [Promotion] – A new committee for promotion is created. It is a subcommittee of the Communications committee. Users are invited to help out and work and submit promotion material. See the posting of Elian.
- [RFC] – On meta is there a page where users can write there comments about the organisation of the recent board election
- [$] – In September the WMF received $36,311 on donations form PayPal. That is less then in August but in general the donations are still increasing.
- [Report] – This week it is time for the Danish Wikipedia to write there pice
- [Summary-l] – the WMF mailing lists receive many postings. Reading everything is not always possible because it takes a lot of time. User:Improv started a service to provide a summary of the threads posted on Foundation-l so you can get quickly get the general idea of the postings. Providing this service is a lot work. User:Improv seeks volunteers to help and to expand this service to other lists.
- [Jimbo] – the ongoing mission of Jimbo to travel the world and meet Wikipedians in far away places has brought him recently to India. Where was a “unconference” with the local Wikipedians.
- [Copyvio] – The french news agency “Agence France Presse” has used text from the article about the Amish from the DE Wikipedia in a news report. So far no problem. What is a problem is that the have not given any attribution to Wikipedia like is required by the GFDL-licence. When contacted by Wikipedian Mathias Schindler the AFP office confirmed that the text was from Wikipedia and stated that this was against “AFP policy” because “wikipedia is not a citable source”. They refuse to retract or amend the story with proper attribution for Wikipedia and the license. AFP sued Google News in 2005 because in AFP’s point of view, Google was violating their copyright with there “google news” service.
- [en.wikt] – The English wiktionary has reached 200’000 entries
- [en.wp] – The Bengali Wikipedia Reaches 10, 000 articles. It is the 50th language to do so, and the 2nd language from South Asia to do so.
- [+20] – A new batch of 20 new Wikipedias has been created.
Wu (wuu:), Mazandarani (mzn:),Newar / Nepal Bhasa (new:), Lak (lbe:), Emilian-Romagnol / Sammarinese (eml:), Buryat (Russia) (bxr:), Upper Sorbian (hsb:),Novial (nov:),Pangasinan (pag:),Bavarian (bar:), Bishnupriya Manipuri (bpy:), Zazaki (diq:), Zealandic (zea:), Tarantino (roa-tara:), Zamboanga Chavacano (cbk-zam:), Classical Chinese (zh-classical:), Old Church Slavonic (cu:), Siberian/Nort Russian (ru-sib:), Gilaki (glk:), Min Dong (cdo:
Was ist das?
POV: Point of View, the way how things are according the person who writes it
NPOV: Neutral point of view, core value of the WMF-projects.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little
consequence. The only consequence is what we do. – John Ruskin http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Ruskin
Editor(s): Walter Contains text from: Mathias Schindler